What We Like About Work
Did you know that we spend more of our waking hours at work than anything else? Yes? Ok. Great. Because of this, I asked the listeners of the Early Breakfast Show to send in their favourite parts of work; the things that make the day brighter and more pleasant.
Which kind of back-fired... Dave would rather "sit on The Spire" than attend his work Christmas party.
Happy Monday everyone!
- “Paula, my workplace has brilliant hiding spots so I can text the best radio show around!” - Carlow Sparky hard at work
- “Paula I used to work in a place that had a team building day and we had to do a presentation about our hobbies. It was excruciating – it had nothing to do with our work, it wasted time and we found out that one of the senior managers still collected Barbies in her 50s. Just made me look at her weirdly!” – D in Cork
- “Morning P, I work with a great bunch of people but the girl who sits opposite me has become one of my best friends. We’re work wives! When she’s on holiday or sick or whatever I’m like a dog lol!”
- “Paula we do Pilates on a Friday! Group of 25 of us started around 4 months ago...now we’re down to 6. It’s not easy!”
- “Paula if my workplace organises one more pizza night/ beer night/ table quiz/ team building night I’ll scream. My time is my own and I’m sick of donating my own hours to work. I have a wife and friends and other people I like to spend my time with!”
- “Best part of my work is the 2 hour drive every morning, from Waterford to Dublin, where I get to listen to my favouritestest DJ!!” -Larry from Waterford
- “Good morning Paula, half of our waking hours?! I leave every morning at 5.30 and don’t get home till 7pm at the earliest. I make dinner then bed at 11, and then start the routine again! I wish it was just half our waking hours! Its 100km to my job but I do like working with my colleagues, they’re good craic and my boss is a nice guy too!” - Jim
- “We cook together in work. We play monopoly and poker in work and occasionally do some work!”
- “There's nothing good about where I work going home time is the best same sh1t different day.” - Ben
- “Best thing about work? Home-time. Sadface.” - Paddy power 101 via Snapchat.
- “I commute from Tipperary to Cork for work every day. It takes me an hour to get there, so I spend 16 hours out of the house every day that I work. I'm a labour ward midwife and the thoughts of delivering babies is the only thing that keeps me sane driving to work... sometimes!”
- “Morning Paula well darlin girl I was a carer for an elderly couple and I have to say no matter how tired or stressed I was, they always managed to make me smile. Their love for each other was palpable and even though they had cancer and dementia, they were always content and happy in each other's company. I looked after them for two years until they passed, job satisfaction by a thousand percent god rest them xx” - Mary
- “Best part of my day is leave Kerry drive to Dublin start work at 7am finish at 8pm But it's all good coz I feel fresh, lol” - Chris
- “Hey Paula, for me working on these high rise apartment blocks in Finland, it's having a canvas to draw on everywhere I turn, as I wait for the paint to dry in the apartments I sometimes draw on the corridor walls before covering it up. Also paint workmates helmets!” - Jeff
- “The best thing about my job is who I spend all day with...oh look, it’s myself!” – Bre76 via Snapchat
- “The dreaded work Christmas bash is already being arranged. YEUGH - I've made it clear I'd rather sit on the Spire, watching my toenails grow!” Dave, Clondalkin
- “We get free tea and coffee. And there is a fridge we can keep our lunch in....happy days!”
- “I drive a truck, I do forestry work. When the day starts to go wrong I roar at the trees, best part is they don't roar back!” - Eoin in the blue stallion
- “Morning Paula. Best part of my work day is when I can go home. Every morning I wake up, a little bit of my soul is destroyed. Happy Monday!” - Liam
- “Good morning Paula! I live in Sligo and drive to work in Dublin city centre 3 days a week. I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t love my job. It’s the first job I’ve had that I feel valued and my workmates are brilliant and soooo smart! I get to listen to you on the drive too which is great! Surely I deserve a beanie to keep my poor noggin warm on the drive during the winter?” - Janet (at the side of the road in Longford)
- “Paula worst thing about work is going back to a crap job today after 2 weeks in Portugal. But hearing you on the morning commute after all that time makes it worth it. Happy Monday!” - John Mac