150 Guests Evacuated After Ballymun Hotel Fire
Crews from Dublin Fire Brigade remain at the scene of a major blaze in Ballymun.
More than 150 guests staying in the Metro hotel have been safely evacuated and there are no reports of any injuries.
The fire broke out shortly after 8 o’clock last night and quickly engulfed several floors of the building.
More than 60 firefighters worked to bring the blaze under control earlier this morning.
A number of units remain on scene to dampen down flames and extinguish hot spots.
Around 150 guests staying at the hotel were evacuated – while others living in private residences in the building also escaped.
Garda traffic diversions are in place in the area which is likely to cause disruption for motorists this morning.
There were concerns that a number of homeless families were being accomodated in the hotel but last night Inner City Helping Homeless said that Dublin City Council confirmed there was no one in emergency accommodation there.
Local councillor Paul McAuliffe was at the scene as fire fighters tackled the blaze and says the fire is a blow for the whole area, 'It's going to have a major impact on business in the area, something like this will have a long lasting effect for everybody'.
We'll have 4 fire engines on scene at the #BallymunFire overnight to damp down & extinguish hot spots. Road closures are likely to affect traffic in the morning #Dublin #fire #Ballymun @DCCTraffic @aaroadwatch pic.twitter.com/qewyJlUvHV— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) March 22, 2018
You can listen back to Paul Quinn's report into Dermot and Dave this morning, here.