National Broadband Plan Not Influenced By Naughten Or McCourt
The bidding process for the National Broadband Plan was not undermined by the meetings former Communications Minister Denis Naughten had with a businessman involved in the final consortium bidding for the contract.
The review of the tender process has been with the office of the Attorney General for the last week as all those mentioned in it were contacted.
It was considered by cabinet Ministers this morning and has been published this afternoon.
Independent Process Auditor Peter Smyth has has stated he's satisfied that neither the former Minister nor Mr. David McCourt had the opportunity to influence the conduct of the tender process in favour of Granahan McCourt or otherwise.
So the Smyth review of the broadband process basically says he doesn’t know what was discussed between Naughten and McCourt because there were no minutes - but he’s still happy the process wasn’t undermined pic.twitter.com/lWRGjatmk3— Sean Defoe (@SeanDefoe) November 27, 2018
In the report's conclusion Mr Smyth also said that Denis Naughten's decision to resign as Communications minister "insulates the process from any apparent bias created by his engagements with Mr McCourt".
The Minister for Communications Richard Bruton says "The government is committed to providing high speed to rural Ireland. The government is absolutely committed to reaching the 540,000 premises which will not be reached by commercial operators."