This is Kleenex Country.
Lewis Capaldi released his debut album recently and he's admitted that it contains a number of ugly crying tracks.
So, inspired by Cappers Muireann O 'Connell put it to the good people of Ireland to help us create a Top Ten. However, before we get started let's establish what an 'Ugly Cry' actually means.
Although Kim Kardashian has come close, the mantle for the founder and the title of 'The Ugly Cry Queen' has to go to Claire Danes. She started it in Romeo & Juliet and it just took off in Homeland, it should have had it's own spin off series in fairness.
As demonstrated so magnificently by Danes, the Ugly Cry Face is the complete and utter disregard for gravity and facial muscles.
And if there's any spittle involved that takes it to a 10/10 on the UCF scale.
For any song to cause this type of unbridled emotion is HAS to have serious emotional chops.
Here is The Muireann O'Connell Show Top Ten Ugly Cry Songs as voted by TodayFM listeners:
Here we go...
10. She is the Queen Of Canada and has a shoe fetish to beat all (10k pairs apparently) but this sole woman goes straight in at number ten.
(We've never seen more wicker furniture and Vaseline soft lens in another music video)
9. Any fans of Buffy will know this one. It got lots of nods and much approval from Muireann!
8. Liverpool fans voted for this terrace classic. It's more than a club and this is more than a song. High emotions for this one especially with Madrid on the way.
7. Luas Calamari had to feature. He has the heart of a comedian, but a tortured soul. This video is so fragile be careful it doesn't break you. Simply beautiful.
6. A really clever video (s) (watch Part 2 as well) and gorgeous tune. Lots of votes for this one and our first Irish entry.
5. Appearances in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, Napoleon Dynamite, Strictly Ballroom, Cold Case, My Name Is Earl and Stranger Things has elevated this 80s classic to perennial tearjerker status.
4. Absolutely stunning and utterly heartbreaking. This was Johnny Cash at his most vulnerable and defiant.
Many of the listeners voted for this cover of the Nine Inch Nails track.
3. Our second Irish entry and a song that should have elevated worldwide status far higher than it does. Outstanding.
2. Every time there's a listener poll for tearjerkers or songs of beauty this is a guarantee. He took Leonard Cohen's classic and took it to a place burrowed deep in the heart. Not a song to mess with. The Kleenex factor is high with this one. Incredible.
1. Hail The Queen of the Ugly Cry Classic. It's no surprise that she came in at number 1. This video is at 1.3 BILLION and counting. That's a lot of ugly tears. ...Now just leave me alone. I'm off for a weep by myself. Ughhhh ughhhh uggggh. . "Never mind I'll find someone like youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" Waaaaaaaaaaaa.