Majority of people work to live - they don't live to work. Agreed?
With this in mind, the workplace needs to be as streamlined and enjoyable as possible. But that can be easier said than done.
Regardless of what job we are in, we all feel a little weighed down at times and it takes effort to make a change.
Lorraine Murphy is a workplace expert and executive coach, who works with companies to ensure a positive working environment and increase positivity.
Speaking on Today FM's Dermot and Dave, Lorraine reveals her tips on how to achieve these goals.
It all comes down to communication, communication, communication
Planning - this can be broken down into three phases: The What, the How and the Who.
- What is the focus of the business, where are we going?
- Focus is so important because it is the gateway to all thinking: perception, memory, learning, reasoning, problem solving, and decision making
- And if you can't think effectively, you definitely can't produce the quality of work necessary to be successful
- What do we need to ensure we get there
- What skillsets are needed to carry it out – The Who & if gaps how do we fill them?
- Higher productivity, staff retention, more motivated and happier staff
Staff communication is key for any project
- The importance of employee engagement can't be overstated – employee engagement strategies have been proven to reduce staff turnover, improve productivity and efficiency
- Most importantly, engaged employees are happier, both at work and in their lives
THE STRONGER THE CULTURE
- The stronger the culture is defined the better employees understand what is expected of them – stronger communications
- Company culture is important to employees because workers are more likely to enjoy their time in the workplace when they fit in with the company culture
- Employees tend to enjoy work when their needs and values are consistent with those in the workplace
Check out Lorraine's guidelines in full by pressing the play button on screen.