The next Today FM School of Radio and Podcasting course will begin in February 2022.
You’ll learn how to produce, present, edit, and promote your own shows and podcasts from award-winning radio and podcast professionals including John Duggan, Gavan Reilly, Patrick Haughey and many more.
Places are filling up fast; to secure yours just drop us a line!
Where do I sign up?
For further information about the course, fees and syllabus please visit the course page on IndependentColleges.ie or alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, or call 01- 8773900
"It helped reignite my passion for the medium and gave me the confidence to pursue a job in radio" - Meghan O'Connor, Graduate
Do you (or someone you know) want a career in radio? Radio🎙
— Today FM 💛 (@TodayFM) August 15, 2020
What is it?
The Today FM School of Radio & Podcasting, in association with Independent Colleges Dublin, is a dynamic and highly practical training unit, designed to equip aspiring content professionals with everything they need to know about creating world class content. Whether you want to work in traditional media, digital media, or create cut-through content for your own company or personal brand, this course has you covered.
Designed and coordinated by Patrick Haughey, award-winning radio producer and founder of Ireland’s leading branded podcast agency AudioBrand, this course is for people who want to learn all about radio and podcasting from the experts, but who don’t have the time to dedicate to a full-time programme.
The course is designed to be as practical as possible, combining highly practical class exercises that mirror everyday radio scenarios, and guest speaker presentations. Students will also receive their own Zoom digital recorder to use throughout the course and keep afterwards. Key skills learned over the first nine weeks of the course are then put in to action in week ten, as participants get together in professional recording studios and record an ‘as live’ radio show of their own.
Click HERE for a sample course outline
What will you get out of all this?
- A detailed knowledge of the key areas of the radio industry, what each area involves, and what it takes to get your foot in the door.
- The opportunity to meet and work in-class alongside Ireland’s leading radio and podcast professionals, including Gavan Reilly, Mary Carroll, Patrick Haughey, John Cadell, Aingeala Flannery and many more.
- Core skills needed to create engaging content – defining your audience, story-telling, finding great guests, interview skills, audio editing, and much more.
- A portfolio of work displaying presentation and editing skills, that the student can present when applying for radio jobs
- Studio time in professional recording studios, where you will put together and record an ‘as live’ radio show, under the supervision of Patrick Haughey and Mary Carroll
Past Students Working in Radio:
- Doireann Garrihy – Presenter of the 2fm Breakfast show and 'The Laughs of Your Life' podcast
- Daniel Cahill – The Last Word with Matt Cooper, Today FM
- Shane Hannon, Off the Ball, Newstalk
- Kilian Pettit, Red FM
- Conor Thompson, Presenter, iRadio
- Julie Gartland, Beat 102 103
- Aidan McKelvey, Newstalk 106-108
- Jason Collins, Presenter KFM & 8radio
The topics we’ll be covering:
- An overview of the radio industry.
- The anatomy of a radio station.
- Learn how to use your digital recorder.
- Presenting a music show – picking the music, filling the gaps, and learning how to develop your voice.
- Presenting a talk show – the preparation and execution of a great interview.
- Producing a talk show – developing a successful relationship with your presenter, and handling the pressure of directing a live show
- Essential research skills – how to find and pitch great ideas, pre-interviewing guests, and briefing your presenter.
- The Newsroom – picking the stories, and reading live bulletins.
- Digital editing techniques.
- Podcasting – formats, platforms and equipment.