There's a definite chill in the air, and that means it's time to go back to the tasty, warming dinners.
Mark from Dingle Cookery School has the perfect recipe for you, and as Mairead said - you had me at creamy!
Creamy Potato, Bacon and Mushroom Gratin (Serves 4-6)
- 250ml milk
- 500ml cream
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 250g bacon, cut into small pieces
- knob of butter
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- bunch of thyme, leaves picked
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- For the topping
- 150g bread crumbs
- 100g cheddar or hard cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC
- Add the milk, cream and garlic to a pot, add some salt and pepper. Put this on a low heat. This can be heating while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Put a pan on over medium heat, once hot add a little oil then add the bacon, let this brown for about 5 minutes, once they have browned tip them into a bowl. Place the pan back on over the heat again and add a little butter and then the mushrooms and thyme. Let this cook for about 5 minutes. Add them to the bowl with the bacon, add in the sliced potatoes. Mix this all well.
- Tip out about half of the potato mixture into an oven proof dish. Run a spoon or spatula over the top of the potatoes to level them out. Pour in some of the warm milk, cream and garlic mixture over the potatoes and let it almost cover the potatoes. Repeat with the rest of the potato mixture and the warm liquid.
- Put this on a tray and place in the oven.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and grated cheese in a bowl, when the gratin has been cooking for about 20 minutes, sprinkle the breadcrumbs and cheese over the top of the gratin and place it back in the oven for another 20-25 minutes. Use a small knife to check that the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
View this post on Instagram
You can hear the chat in full by pressing the play button on screen.