Each week Mark from Dingle Cookery School has a simple yet very tasty recipe to sort out your dinner, and this week came with some beetroot facts Mairead hadn't heard before!
This salad uses the whole of the beetroot, stalks and all, so you'll have no waste left over.
Warm Salad of Roasted Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad (Serves 4)
- 3-4 large beetroot, washed well, cut into bite size pieces (stalks and leaves removed, to be used in this dish)
- olive oil
- sherry vinegar (use balsamic or red wine vinegar if you do not have sherry vinegar)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- handful of the beetroot stalks, washed and chopped
- handful of the beetroot leaves, washed and chopped
- handful of walnuts, toasted in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes
- some salad leaves, washed
- extra virgin olive oil
- 200g goat’s cheese, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Add the beetroot to a pot of boiling water, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the water and place them in a pan or tray. Drizzle them with a little oil, add a pinch of salt. Place this in the oven. Allow them to cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the pan on the stove (be careful the handle will be very hot).
- Add a good dash of sherry vinegar, some garlic and the beetroot stalks. Cook this for about 2-3 minutes, add the beetroot leaves and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add all of this to a bowl, add the toasted walnuts and salad leaves. Drizzle in some extra virgin olive oil, taste and adjust if needed, season with salt and pepper, taste again.
- Mix this all together. Divide this mixture between four bowls. Place some slices of goat’s cheese on top of each bowl. Drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
View this post on Instagram
You can hear the chat in full by pressing the play button on screen.