Time to take a trip down Nostalgia Lane...
Robojock played Hanson’s MmmBop this morning just before the Early Breakfast started, and I was transported back to 1997, when I was on a school-tour in the Crescent in Limerick and that’s what I spent my money on: a tape (and a top with butterflies on it!)
It got us talking about musical milestones and some are bursting with nostalgia:
- “Pearl Jam's Ten album on Cassette tape in '91 – still have it Paula!”
- “Nirvana Nevermind was the first I bought myself. Saved up my pocket money and into Golden Discs to buy it!”
- “Queen's Greatest Hits, had to clean my room for it but it was worth it!”
Saved my pocket Monet at age 7 to buy my first album on cassette, Madonna, True Blue!
— Sandra Power (@san_pow) October 4, 2019
- “Good morning Paula! The first tape I ever bought was Betty Boo! I brought it into school and we'd dance to it at break time.”
- “Guns N’ Roses Appetite for Destruction and then went to Slane to see them at the bould age of 16!”
- “Whats up Paula!! Brian on my way home from Tralee to Carrick on Shannon for the last time! First record I ever bought, if memory serves me correctly, it was Joan Baez? Blanket on the Ground in Golden Discs in Grafton Street. Then ate my first ever Quarter Pounder in McDonalds! I was 7, I think, and now 42 years later I’m more worried about the amount of burgers I’ve eaten then the amount of records I bought!”
- “Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way. I was 10 and had just heard them on tv. It’s still is my favourite album by them!”
- “Good morning, Paula.My musical milestone was my first cassette single, back in the day of the Walkman. It was Set Adrift On Memory Bliss by PM Dawn, released in August 1991. Loving the tunes this morning!” - Ronan in East Cork.
Dustin - faith of our feathers - when was 9 in the terryland shopping center in Galway
— Der 🏳️🌈 (@derhoward85) October 4, 2019
- “Gorillaz by Gorillaz. Favorite album of all time!”
- “First cassette was Diamonds and Pearls by Prince. First CD was Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt second hand in Chicago… still brings me back to 96!” - Justin
- “Hon p-mac. First album ever bought was AC/DC live (the twin disc edition) in Sinnots in Waterford when I was 9. 26 years later it’s still my go to album to blare out and turn a frown upside down!” - Pat Mc
- “Hey Paula. Back in the early 80's, I can remember buying Whitesnake's single Here I Go Again on six inch vinyl when I was 12. Began a life long love of rock music!” - Cathal in Meath
- “The Lion King soundtrack was my first CD. First gifted CD was Jimi Hendrix greatest hits. First CD I remember buying was Dark Side of the Moon.”
When I was about 14 I was in the Crescent and Larry Gogan was doing his show there. I won a signed limited edition of U2's single 'Pride'. I gave it to a girl I was spotting.
— Sean O' Donovan (@henriksen1) October 4, 2019
- “First cassette was Dustin the turkey Faith of our Feathers and first CD was Now 32. It featured Gangsters Paradise and I thought I was great learning all the words to it!” - Brian
- “Hi Paula. Music memory. My first album was Adam and the Ants Kings of the Wild Frontier. Bought it in Bray on holidays. Classic album!” - Oliver
- “Paula my first album was Saints and Sinners by Whitesnake.. Still a class album.. Paul in Waterford xx
I demanded Paddy Cole cassette when I was 10 from Santa. Love him 🎵
— t r a c y m a y b e (@fushu79) October 4, 2019
- “First single was Eye Of The Tiger ON VINYL... Sure I'm only ancient so I am haha!”
- “Paula. First tape was Mr Blobby! First CD was Ocean Colour Scene!” – Eoin, Kildare