Bono certainly influenced his son!
This morning I played a song called Ice-Cream Sundae by Inhaler, whose lead singer is none other than Bono’s son Elijah!
Made me wonder… have your parents influenced your career choices?
Mine didn’t... they just spent my 20s begging me to get a proper job... or, any job, at times!
- “My parents didn't have an opinions as to what I did with my life, just so long that I did what made me happy and didn't go into show business. I went into show business!”
- “Hey Paula. My grandad was a truck driver. My dad was a truck driver and what am I... a proud truck driver! Love it!”
- “My parents pushed me to continue higher education. I currently depend on their constant support (nagging) to get me over the finish line!”
- “Accountants. We are all accountants. I hate being an accountant!” - M
- “Hey Paula! My mam always wanted to be a secondary school teacher and when I was younger she would often encourage me to pursue it and my Dad is an accountant - fast forward 20 years and I’m an accounting and business teacher! So it looks like they both had an influence on me! I’m glad because I love what I do!” - L, Dublin
- “Konichiwa Paula, my father and grandfather were chefs. I soon realized when I started in the trade that I could not do that and play rugby so I had to change tact. Still learnt to cook a few nice dishes. It’s a little warmer than 4 degrees here today!”
- “Morning Paula, Niamh here. Dad always pushed us into education, so instead, I rebelled. I left before completing and got a job. I worked in many different sectors and currently I work full time in intellectual disabilities, while putting myself through full time education to do biological and biopharmaceutical science. I really showed him!”
- “Parents influencing jobs we are in: 8 years ago I was going into 3rd year of college. I was offered a job as a sales rep for a veterinary supplies company and my parents told me to finish college and then look for work and not to take the job. So anyway, I took the job, finished college in an evening course and 8 years on, I’m director of sales and shareholder in the same company. I did and didn't take their advice but it worked out in the end!” - Ollie on the road from Cashel to Longford.
- “Third generation local government worker… pays the bills and we will leave it there!”
- “Good morning, I wanted to join the army after school, but my dad wouldn't allow it as he was ex-army, so I did an Electrician apprenticeship, then joined the army! I'm now an army captain!”
- “Paula, my dad was a secondary school teacher, so was my mam. My 2 older sisters became primary school teachers and my brother became a secpndary school teacher. What am I? I’m.... also a teacher. LOL!”
- “My family influences my decisions the same way Twitter does, sometimes they have useful information but I know not to take their opinions too seriously.”