A hug, a hot cup of coffee, a big dirty breakfast roll...
I arrived into studio at 4.30am this morning and there was a message on-screen for the great Kelly-Ann Byrne from her show a few hours prior. This listener said he was sitting in his car, eating a large curry chip while listening to her show AND the rain pounding off the windows. He sounded so happy and content, and it really does bring home the idea that the simple things in life really are the best. That’s not to say a very expensive holiday isn’t brilliant, but you can’t beat the warmth of a hug from a loved one, or a catch up with an old friend. Or a sausage sandwich.
Here are some of life’s simple pleasures, as suggested by the listeners of The Early Breakfast.
- “Paula - can relate to the guy sitting in the car with chips and the radio. I’m here with a hot coffee, looking out my back garden. It’s quiet, it’s calm and I’ll be watching the sun come up listening to your show. Heaven!”
- “Paula simple pleasures – waking up a bit early to go for a run. Get the heart pumping for the week ahead, I’ll be energised for the day!”
- “Paula simple pleasures: the big filthy breakfast roll I’ll be getting late on this morning. Been looking forward to it since 3am!”
- “Paula… Jim here in Kildare. I'm having a coffee and then a run in the rain!”
- “Morning Paula, damp start in Wicklow! Getting the cows milked and then it’s off to cork for family hols. Family time is priceless!”
- “Good morning, Ruarai here on the road since 5am and not even half way there. I’m going to stop at the 24 hour garage in Roscommon and get a 20oz latte! And maybe a cookie cause I've earned it!”
- “Hi Paula, ski-legs here - very raw having climbed the Walk into the Clouds in Fermanagh yesterday. Myself my wife and my 9-year-old who put us all to shame. Kaydi was the first one up!”
- “Paula the greatest simple pleasures is climbing into bed with fresh sheets... especially if they’ve been dried on the line!”
- “Enjoying a home cooked meal around a table with your family. Paula, we FINALLY got all 4 kids home this weekend and we had dinner together on Satuday night. Of course, they all abandoned me after to go out socialising, but we had a lovely meal!”
- “Sleeping in on a rainy day – today’s my day off and although I’m awake, I am staying in bed... and it’s raining outside!”
- “Finding money you never knew you had Paula! Threw on a coat earlier and there was a 20 in the pocket... coffee is on me!”
- “Simple pleasures Paula - hearing the right song at the right moment – It doesn’t matter what the setting is, hearing the right song for that moment is one of those simple pleasures in life that instantly lifts your spirits. Train Drops of Jupiter did that for me... suddenly I’m 25 again, transported right back!”
- “Realizing you have more time to sleep; something awakens you and you think it’s time to get up. Then you squint over at your alarm clock and realize you still have 2 more hours to sleep! Or text into a radio show while you lie in bed!”
- “Just back from a run Paula – simple and free to do and now I’m set up for the day!”
- “Got the perfect parking spot this morning Paula, winning!”
- “Reminiscing about old times with family – spent all day yesterday eating and drinking tea with loves ones and I will be smiling all week, Paula!”
“The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime”