Go away, world.
On Friday, I found myself with a few free hours, something that rarely happens these days. I could have cleaned the house... or gone to the gym (snort) or done any number of things I'm always saying I just don't have the time to do. So how did I choose to spend my free time? I took myself to the cinema to watch Downton Abbey. It was glorious! The freedom, the popcorn, the daftness of the film. I loved it!
One of my friends, however, was horrified that I would go to the cinema alone. Horrified! I don't understand that - the cinema is the perfect place to go alone! You're facing forward in silence for 2 hours. Perfect! In fact, sometimes I keep my plans to go to the cinema to myself for fear of someone suggesting they come too. Quelle horreur!
I'm not the only one who enjoys doing things alone:
- "Watch films and TV in general, the wife is an awful motormouth. Ya can't watch a film if somebody is talking non-stop.” - PC
- “Hanging out in your clean living room, curled up with a blanket, watching TV... the best!”
- “Recreational maths”
- “Hi Paula, when I lived at home I used to love going to the cinema on my own. I live alone the last 4 years so I don't need to escape as much. I go to weddings on my own and people think it's strange. I'm alone in the truck every day. You just get used to your own space.” - John the trucker
- “I like to scream while I drive!”
- “Paula I love colouring in. Colouring books aren’t just for kids and I find it really therapeutic!”
- “Morning Paula – I like going to the toilet on my own! With 4 kids it’s impossible at times. Our youngest was 4 yesterday so hopefully I’ll be back unaccompanied trips soon!” - Joe in Wicklow
- “Maths problems - I go to my old college engineering books, sit down with a notepad and calculator and do the problems sections. Keeps my mind busy!”
- “Imaginary shopping. I'll go on ridiculously expensive clothing store sites and fill up my basket like I actually have money for a 500 euro dress (or an event to wear it to). I also look through houses and sort by most expensive to see where I'd live if I won the lottery!”
- “Hi Paula – I loved living alone! I was on my own for 4 years, but now two of my daughters have moved back in since they finished college. There are clothes and 'STUFF' EVERYWHERE! Even my sky box is packed with girl stuff! My sitting room has been invaded and I’m banished to my bedroom! But I wouldn't have it any other way!” - Jim
- “Currently sitting in the car alone at the top of Slieve League Cliffs waiting for the sunrise. It’s gonna be amazing Paula!”
- “The grocery shop. As a mum of three smallies it's a rarity but a luxury!” - Carmel
- “I clean. It makes me feel less stressed and the house is always ready for company even thoughI hate having company!”
- “I used to take the bus just to have someone drive me around while I listen to music!”
- “Sometimes when I am bored, I Google restaurants and pubs in other countries, look at their menus, and try to decide what I would get if I were there. Some people might find that weird or boring, but I enjoy doing it!”
- “Paula I used to love going to the toilet on my own but with two very young kids that's no longer an option!”
- “I like to total the cost and plan holidays I will never go on!”
- “Hi Paula, I've decided to go on my first sun holiday on my own I'm nervous but excited - I can do what I want when I want. Not sure if I'm mad, but.....!” - Betty
- “Paula nothing like been on you own on a Harley Davidson on the open road, the buzz …the feel free factor - just heaven! Great show!” - Alan
- “I've gone to music gigs on my own. Big ones in The O2 (formerly The Point) and smaller ones in places like Dolan’s, Limerick. Sipped pints, made friends and had the LOLs!” - LJ in limerick.