There have been 24 more coronavirus-related deaths in the Republic.
The Department of Health has also confirmed 107 new cases of the virus.
It brings the total number of cases in the country since the outbreak began to 23,242.
The total number of deaths now stands at 1,488.
BREAKING: sadly a further 24 people with #COVID19 have died. 107 new cases confirmed too. 1,488 people have now so far lost their lives, while there are 23,242 confirmed cases in this country.
— Shane Beatty 🎙 (@ShaneBeattyNews) May 12, 2020
Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said: “We are continuing to examine the progress of the disease and though we are still making progress, which is giving us real encouragement, we need to keep going.
"We still have 70 people in ICU and over 500 people in hospital. We have more work to do.”
Meanwhile, the Government is expected to get further advice on the wearing of face coverings on Friday.
It's likely people will be told they should wear masks in certain circumstances outside the home once the restrictions begin to be eased.
However, Health Minister Simon Harris has indicated face coverings won't be mandatory.
Main image: Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan. Photo: Leah Farrell/Rollingnews.ie