The Department of Health has announced the death of another 22 COVID-19 patients around the country.
It is the highest number of deaths to be announced in a single day so far and brings the death total in the Republic of Ireland to 120.
Meanwhile, 424 new cases have been confirmed bringing the national total to 4,273.
— HSE Ireland (@HSELive) April 3, 2020
Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said there were 11 men and 11 women among the dead.
He said 18 were recorded in the east of the country, with three in the south and one in the west.
Meanwhile, there are now 171 clusters of COVID-19 around the country, made up of 626 cases.
“We are concerned with the number of clusters identified in nursing homes,” said Dr Holohan.
“We have identified a range of measures, working with the HSE.
“We need to see continuous actions being taken to reduce the risk of transmission in nursing home and long-term residential facilities.”
BREAKING: Another 22 people with #COVID19 have died in the Republic, bringing the death toll to 120.
424 new cases have also been confirmed by @CMOIreland - the total now stands at 4,273
— Stephen Murphy (@Stephen_Murphy5) April 3, 2020
The HSE is now contacting each individual nursing home in the country, with infection control training to be provided to all staff.
"The circumstances in each individual nursing home may vary and so the specific measures that have to be taken requires an assessment of each individual one on its own merits," he said.
The median age of the known COVID-19 patients around the country still stands at 48-years-old, with women making up 51% of them.
Some 1,039 people have been brought to hospital with their symptoms and 156 have been brought to intensive care.
Dr Holohan said there are 110 patients still in Intensive Care Units, after 31 people were released and 15 people sadly died.
Just over a quarter of the people diagnosed with the virus are healthcare workers.
Dublin now accounts for nearly 60% of confirmed cases with Cork accounting for 8%.
Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn said: “We are now facing into the end of week one of new measures.”
“It has been a tough adjustment but these efforts save lives.
“We will continue to protect vulnerable groups against this virus, by staying home and following public health advice. These efforts result in lives saved.
“Anyone over 70 years of age should remain cocooned as per public health advice, and for essential food and prescription shopping, call on family, friends or services to help you. Over 70’s should not be leaving home.”
Meanwhile, 12 further COVID-19 related deaths were reported in the North today, bringing the total to 48.
The total number of deaths on the island of Ireland now stands at 168.