The two boys who murdered Ana Kriegel will be sentenced next week.
Following various medical assessments since their convictions in June, the court heard BOY A now accepts that he caused Ana Kriegel’s death in a derelict farmhouse in Lucan on May 14th last year, but maintains he's innocent of his second conviction for aggravated sexual assault.
BOY B on the other hand still doesn’t accept the jury’s verdict and maintains he didn't have any part at all in what happened.
Through the accounts they gave to experts over the past few months, the court heard there’s still a dispute over whose idea it was to meet her, who decided BOY B was to call for her, who brought what to the abandoned house, how her clothing came to be removed, and when, who assaulted her and with what, and who smashed her phone when it started to ring.
On behalf of the Kriegels, Ana’s mother Geraldine told the court how their lives have been shattered by what happened to Ana.
She said life without Ana is no longer a life, not even an existence:
She read out a paragraph Ana had written on hopes for her future when she started secondary school. She said she hoped to go to Paris University like her father, and maybe get a dog afterwards and married too.
“I have a good life,” she wrote, “and I hope everyone I meet will be nice”.
The boys will be sentenced next Tuesday morning.
*Reporting by Frank Greaney