A plastic surgeon is warning at least one to two children every year are having part of their hand amputated because of sparklers.
As Halloween approaches, Ann McKenna says sparkler related injuries are more common than injuries from fireworks.
The Consultant Plastic Surgeon at the Bon Secours Hospital in Cork says they can cause catastrophic burns.
"Small children don't realise the danger and they don't let go."
"Their little hands come into contact 1000-1600 degrees."
Dr McKenna says the burns can lead to partial or full hand amputation.
Halloween costumers are an added danger as they're not required to be flame retardant, leading to an increase risk of fire.