A third man has been arrested in connection with a serious assault on Irishman Sean Cox outside Liverpool Football Club’s stadium in April.
The assault ahead of the Champions League semi-final against AS Roma at Anfield on April 24th left Mr Cox with what have been described as life-changing injuries.
This afternoon, Merseyside police said a 30-year-old man from Rome was arrested last week by Italian police on foot of a European Arrest Warrant.
He appeared in a Rome court on Saturday and has been remanded ahead of an extradition hearing.
Sean Cox has begun a rehabilitation programme in Dublin
Two other Italian men were already charged in relation to the incident.
21-year-old Filippo Lombardi was remanded in custody in the UK after being charged with violent disorder and inflicting grievous bodily harm.
He is due to appear at Preston Crown Court this Wednesday October 10th ahead of a trial which is due to begin on Thursday.
Meanwhile, 29-year-old Daniele Sciusco was jailed for two-and-a-half years in late August after pleading guilty to violent disorder.
Mr Cox’s local GAA club in Dunboyne has set up a GoFundMe page to help with his recovery, noting that he will "continue to require ongoing and intensive long term care and support" once his latest rehabilitation programme is finished.
“His journey will be a long and difficult one and the focus will continue on ensuring the best possible care to maximise the potential in Sean’s recovery," it said.