Recent Republic of Ireland call-up Luca Connell could be on his way to Celtic.
The Scottish Premiership champions have opened discussions with his club Bolton Wanderers over a potential transfer.
Connell was called into the Republic of Ireland squad for the recent UEFA Euro 2020 qualifiers with Denmark and Gibraltar and trained with the senior side in Portugal. The 18-year old was forced to withdraw from the squad ahead of those games due to a thigh injury.
The versatile midfielder impressed despite Bolton's horrific season in the Championship, playing 12-games in all competitions and earning his first senior Ireland call-up. However, Connell's contract with Wanderers expires at the end of June and he would be available for mere training compensation.
Celtic's Old Firm rivals Rangers had been interested in acquiring Connell's signature, with the likes of Tottenham, Southampton, Brighton and Burnley also said to be sniffing around.
Connell can leave Bolton for just training compensation as he's still 18, but Celtic appear willing to pay a fee. The Scottish Sun claim that discussions have already begun between the Hoops and Bolton over a potential move. Celtic could sign Connell for as little as £250,000.
Meanwhile, the administrators of Bolton Wanderers have identified a preferred bidder for the club.
Wanderers entered administration at the end of a season that saw them relegated to League One. They'll also have to start life in England's third tier on -12 points. The High Court suspended a winding-up order against the club, and an emergency food bank was established to aid staff who had not been paid.
Administrators say the preferred bid met the following criteria:
- The highest bid for the club
- Proof and source of significant funding
- Ability to fund the club for a minimum of two years
- Ability to satisfy secured, football and unsecured creditors
- EFL approval
The bidders have also pledged to inject £1m into the club to fund its immediate running and to rebuild the playing squad. Relegation and administration has left Bolton with just six senior players.
Paul Appleton of the administrators, David Rubin & Partners told the club's site: "I am delighted we have been able to reach a more than satisfactory outcome to this stage of the process and I am confident the preferred bidder has the ability to take Bolton Wanderers forward.
"We are now working towards a signed Heads of Terms agreement by close of play on June 14 and until that has been signed, we are still bound by the confidentiality agreement within the process.
"But I can assure all Bolton Wanderers fans that the preferred bidder has both the financial ability and the determination to turn around the fortunes of this great football club."