Rafa Nadal has admitted that he does not expect to see the return of competitive tennis action until next year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Wimbledon Open championship, due to take place in June and July, was cancelled last month.
The French Open has been postponed until September, while the status of the U.S. Open, rescheduled to start in late August, is still unclear.
As it stands, Nadal is set to defend his U.S. and French titles back-to-back in the autumn but the Spaniard does not think he will be doing it this year.
"I hope we can return before the end of the year but unfortunately, I don’t think so," the world number two told Spanish newspaper El Pais on Tuesday.
"I would sign up to being ready for 2021," the Spaniard added.
"I’m more worried about the Australian Open than what occurs at the end of this year. I think 2020 is practically lost. I hope we can start up again next year, I really hope that’s the case."
Meanwhile, the possibility of the U.S. Open being moved from New York to Indian Wells in Arizona has also been floated.
The tournament has been rescheduled to take place from August 24 until 13 September but New York has been the hardest hit American city leading the United States Tennis Association executive director to suggest an alternative venue.
"Nothing is off the table," Michael Dowse said in an interview with the Inside Tennis magazine.
"No formal decision has been made about Indian Wells. Whatever we do, we'll have to do it in alignment with the owners of Indian Wells, and the ATP and the WTA.
"All of us want the U.S. Open to happen and we are ready to help with increased (coronavirus) testing and to help players get in and out of the country."