81% of gift-givers have bought gift vouchers/cards in the past and 51% are planning to buy gift vouchers/cards this Christmas.
The average anticipated spend on Christmas gift vouchers/cards is €174.
Fergal O'Leary, director of research and policy with the National Consumer Agency, joined Ray in studio this morning with his handy tips for buying a gift card:
- When purchasing or receiving gift vouchers/card, over 1 in 4 do not check the expiry date - make sure you find out what it is
- When receiving a gift voucher/card, 4 in 5 people do not check the fees and charges
- Almost half of adults have let a gift voucher/card expire
- Majority of people don’t know what happens if a company that has provided gift vouchers/cards goes into liquidation
- If you get given a gift card use it quickly!
More info at www.consumerhelp.ie