And other renames
Yesterday, it was announced that Snickers will revert back to Marathon for the next 3 months! People love a bit of nostalgia and as far as promotion is concerned, it’s certainly getting people talking about the good aul days. I don’t remember Snickers ever being Marathons but I DO remember when Coco Pops changed their name to Choco Krispies. There was outrage! I also remember there was a phone line set up to vote as to whether you wanted to change the name back or not... and I voted for Coco Pops. Even though I was NEVER allowed have Coco Pops, EVER.
I still call Starburst Opal Fruits… force of habit.
Here are some other fun facts about brands and places that used to be called something completely different:
- It was The 02, and then 3Arena but for some, The Point Theatre will always be The Point
- Oil of Ulay change to Oil of Olay because they wanted to remove the possibly misunderstood word “oil” and remind people that it is a “light, greaseless formula”.
- Jif became Cif and I am yet to meet a person who actually calls it Cif
- Friends was originally called 6 of 1 and Pretty Woman was called after the amount Vivian charged Edward for a weeks' service; 3000
- Google was originally called BACKRUB! However, the best worst original name has to go to Yahoo; originally it was called Jerry and David’s Guide to The World Wide Web
- Instagram used to be… Burbn!
- Vaseline used to be called Wonder Jelly. Ew.
- In between New York and New Amsterdam, the city was once (briefly) known as New Orange. It's True! Ironic that its known as The Big Apple now!
- To Infinity and Beyond! Buzz Lightyear was almost called Lunar Larry… that could have worked?
- Mickey Mouse was originally called Mortimer Mouse and I think that would have been okay too...
- The old name for butterfly was more logical… plus, Flutterby evokes a lovely image as well
- Minstrels used to be Chocolate ‘Treats’. There were also Toffee Treats and Peanut Treats which were both discontinued.
- Meghan Markle’s real first name is Rachel!