This was retweeted into my timeline last night and the replied made me chuckle:
What was your harshest rejection?
I’ll go first. One time, a super charming guy I had a crush on took me out to dinner a few times, invited me to a swanky gala, had me over for Thanksgiving, and then introduced me to his buddy as “a girl I wish was my sister”.
— Eden Dranger (@Eden_Eats) November 9, 2019
The listeners of The Early Breakfast had many examples of cold hard rejection too:
- “I fancied this guy for ages, and my friend convinced me to ask him out. So I did, and he said no as I expected. And the next day my friend asked him out and he said yeah, they only broke up last month like four years later. So not only did I get rejected, but I had to watch my friend and him be a couple.”
- “I was backpacking in Australia with a friend. He was quite enthralled with Swedish women and there seemed to be loads of them in Australia. He was constantly trying to hit on them. One day, he asked one: "Excuse me, do you speak English?", and she answered "not today"and kept walking.”
- “I had buried this memory but once I was given the number to a parochial house instead of the girl’s number. Thanks for reminding me, Paula!”
- “Hi Paula worst rejection I got was my first couple of weeks of secondary school I liked a girl that started the same time. So, I went to approach her to see if she felt the same. The response I got wasn't exactly what I had in mind. She told me how much she liked my older brother in 6th year. And if that wasn't bad enough she went on to tell me how she couldn't believe we were brothers cause he was so beautiful.”
- “Having a guy tell me: "My anaconda don't." Needless to say, I'm glad I got rejected.”
- “Back in college, before I could even begin asking out a particular girl, she just shook her head and said, "no."
- “I went in for a kiss. She moved back so fast you would have thought I was coming at her with a knife!”
- “I actually had a girl tell me she couldn't go out with me because she was washing her hair that night.”
- “Asked a girl out for a friend. She said "Sorry, he's just too short!” I told him she had a boyfriend instead”
- “I think the worst I've gotten is a fake number, which isn't all that bad, but worse than just saying no thanks”
- “Dumped a girl when I was in fifth year in school, told her my dad got a job in Galway and we had to move urgently (from west Wicklow). The penny dropped about 2 weeks later when I was still coming to school as usual. 17 years later I am married to the same woman and have a second kid on the way. And every time county Galway is mentioned she brings it up and gives me awful stick about it!”
- “Paula over the weekend I got chatting to a girl in the smoking area. Asked her her name and it took her a good 10 seconds to come up with a name. I left it at that.”
- “Paula when I was 13 I asked my sister-in-law (obviously not my sister-in-law then) out and she said no, I asked was she sure, she said absolutely. And when she married my brother, at least I ate a great story for the speeches!” - Joe