14 more people diagnosed with COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland have died, the Department of Health has confirmed.
It brings the total number of coronavirus related deaths in the country to 36.
It also represents the highest number of deaths in a single day to date.
All 14 of the new deaths happened in the east of the country, and the median ages of the patients is 81.
Meanwhile, there have been 294 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland as of 1pm today.
It means there are now 2,415 confirmed cases here.
- Of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 52%, close contact accounts for 23%, travel abroad accounts for 25%
— Department of Health (@roinnslainte) March 28, 2020
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, said; “Today, we have our highest recorded number of deaths so far. Our condolences are with the family and friends of all patients who have died as a result of COVID-19.
“We thank all citizens who have complied with restrictive measures, who continue to follow public health advice and remain concerned for those around them.
“We must remain focused in our shared efforts to prevent the spread of this infection, to prevent severe illness especially that which requires ICU admission and ultimately save lives.”
As of Thursday midnight 489 cases (26%) of all the coronavirus patients in the Republic have been hospitalised, while 67 cases have been admitted to ICU.
445 of the cases are associated with healthcare workers.
Dublin had the most cases at 1070 (56% of all cases), followed by Cork with 184 cases (10%).
Today's update on cases comes less than 24 hours after the Government announced strict restrictions on movement, with all non-essential workers told to stay home - barring some limited circumstances such as food shopping and short outdoor exercise - until April 12th.