The ASTI has decided to re-enter talks with the Department of Education to discuss plans for this year's Leaving Cert assessments.
The union withdrew from talks with the Department earlier this week over proposals to prioritise a system of calculated grades.
It contended that the plans were "unacceptable", but yesterday said it had "constructive engagement" with the Education Minister.
The ASTI said today it has been told that oral and practical exams, as well as coursework, will go ahead this year.
The union also says it has been assured teachers will not have to rank their students like last year.
A spokesperson said the Minister was "unequivocal in her statement of commitment to holding the Leaving Certificate this year".
ASTI re-enters Leaving Cert discussions https://t.co/zTT0Am6wBS
— ASTI (@astiunion) February 13, 2021
"On that basis, the ASTI believes that doubts regarding the staging of additional component elements of this year’s Leaving Certificate Examinations have been substantially alleviated. We expect the Minister to ensure that they will take place," they added.
"The ASTI also raised the issue of a lack of data available in many schools to base and inform the parallel/corresponding measure which the Minister is seeking to put in place alongside the Leaving Certificate. The Minister has committed to working with stakeholders to strengthen the position in this regard.
In addition, the ASTI has been assured that the requirement for teachers to provide a list of their students in rank order of merit, like they did last year, will not feature in any corresponding/parallel measure that may be implemented this year."
The statement concluded that the ASTI will now re-enter the discussions process and will "continue to constructively engage to seek to ensure ways are found to facilitate this year’s Leaving Certificate students in moving on with their lives".
Main image: File photo. Credit: Leah Farrell/RollingNews.ie