'Significant' new measures have been announced by the Government to limit the spread of coronavirus.
It comes amid a spike in new cases, including 190 new cases confirmed today.
People are being asked to work from home wherever possible.
Táoiseach Micheál Martin said visits to homes should now be restricted to six people from no more than three households, while outdoor gatherings will be limited to 15 people.
Taoiseach says it's 'a fact' that there have been too many house parties that go beyond the guidelines.
— Andrew Lowth (@AndrewLowth1) August 18, 2020
Restaurants, cafés and pubs operating as restaurants can remain open, but there will be mandatory closing time of 11:30pm.
All sporting events will be played behind closed doors, after up to 200 people were previously allowed attend.
Meanwhile, people are being advised to wear masks if sharing a car with someone not from same household.
Anyone using public transport should continue to wear masks, although people are again being encouraged to avoid public transport where possible.
Over 70s are being encouraged to limit their social interactions to a small group of people, and to only shop during designated hours in supermarkets.
Officials are looking into the prospect of new legislation to allow gardaí enforce the rules.
The Taoiseach said the "harsh reality" is that recent trends in the virus are very serious.
He said the need for fresh restrictions is not just about "the appalling behaviour" seen in one Dublin bar, but because a lot of people seem willing to take more risks.