Up to 10,000 health support staff will go on strike this Wednesday, SIPTU has confirmed.
The 24 hour strike will get underway at 8am on Wednesday.
The action will affect 38 hospitals and healthcare facilities nationwide.
It's after this afternoons talks between the union, the HSE and the Department of Public Expenditure ended without agreement.
The dispute centres around pay and a jobs evaluation scheme, with SIPTU claiming its members are owed over €16 million.
The HSE says the industrial action will have a significant impact on services, including:
- Deferral of some elective inpatient procedures
- Significant cancellation of scope procedures
- Reduced outpatient services
- Reduced laboratory services for GPs
- Reduced catering services for both patients and staff
- Reduced operating theatre activity.