Clubs in Italy's Serie A will be allowed to resume group training on May 18.
Italian Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora and Health Minister Roberto Speranza have jointly signed off on the recommendation of the country's Comitato Tecnico Scientifico (CTS).
Players had already begun individual training programmes with the hope of a top flight return next month.
There has also been comprehensive testing of players.
Serie A has been suspended since the March 10 round of matches as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Over 30,000 people have lost their lives to the virus in Italy. 802 new cases were confirmed on May 10, down from a peak in late March of 6,557 in a single day.
Spadafora and Speranza said that only minor tweaks are required to the Italian Football Federation (FIGC)'s medical protocol.
They added, "The scientific committee has given its verdict, requested by the Government, on the medical protocol and confirmed the prudent approach taken so far by the ministers,” read a joint-statement.
"The indications of the committee, which are to be considered stringent and binding, will be transmitted to the Federation for the required adjustments to the protocol so that teams can resume training in safety from May 18."
The recent testing of players has renewed concerns about a second wave of the virus.
Sampdoria last week confirmed three new cases of coronavirus among their squad, while three players and three backroom staff members at Fiorentina also tested positive.
Fiorentina's chief doctor Luca Pengue told TGR Rai, "The six people are all asymptomatic and the tests show they have a very minor form of the virus."
Pengue added, "We are applying the Federation protocol to the letter and the priority for everyone is to be healthy."
The medic himself has only recently recovered from the virus, saying, "I had some difficult days and moments of real fear. It was tough for me and my family, leaving bad memories."