It's expected that this summer's rearranged Olympics and Paralympics in Tokyo will be held without spectators from overseas.
News agency Kyodo claims the Japanese government has made the decision due to concerns over the potential spread of COVID-19 during the Games.
"The organising committee has decided it is essential to hold the ceremony in the northeastern prefecture of Fukushima behind closed doors, only permitting participants and invitees to take part in the event, to avoid large crowds forming amid the pandemic," Kyodo claims they've been told by officials.
"The government has concluded that welcoming fans from abroad is not possible given concerns among the Japanese public over the coronavirus and the fact that more contagious variants have been detected in many countries, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity."
Olympics organisers previously said a decision would likely be made towards the end of this month.
"We would really like people from around the world to come to a full stadium, but unless we are prepared to accept them and the medical situation in Japan is perfect, it will cause a great deal of trouble also to visitors from overseas," newly appointed Tokyo 2020 president Seiko Hashimoto admitted on Monday.