Fresh doubts have emerged over whether the Tyrone senior footballers will be able to fulfill their All-Ireland semi-final against Kerry.
Yesterday (Monday), their last four clash was rescheduled due to an unspecified number of Covid-19 cases in the Tyrone panel.
Originally fixed for this Sunday - August 15th - the game has now been pushed back until the following weekend.
It also means the All-Ireland final will now take place on Saturday, September 4th, as opposed to its original date on August 29th.
However, last night Tyrone chairperson Mickey Kerr cast fresh doubt on the county's ability to contest the fixture on its new date.
#LATEST Tyrone have fresh doubts over new All-Ireland semi-final date 👇https://t.co/TMoh6golyn
— Independent Sport (@IndoSport) August 9, 2021
Speaking to The Irish Independent, Kerr said that Tyrone must first consider whether fielding is in line with health advice.
Guidelines in the UK specify that athletes should wait 17 days before returning to sport.
Research published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine recommends this to include ten days rest, as well as seven days being symptom-free.
This would place Tyrone's ability to field for the game in real jeopardy - and raises the possibility of the Red Hand county pulling out of the championship.
Kerr said it was 'clear' that the players 'will not be ready to engage in a high-intensity championship game' so soon after contracting the virus.
It's believed a decision will be taken this weekend with regard to whether they will be in a position to take to the field.
The GAA's CCCC yesterday announced the deferral of the semi-final - though Kerr says Tyrone requested an extra week to prepare.
It comes shortly after the under-20 hurling final between Cork and Galway was delayed due to Covid-19 cases in the Cork squad.
The game - scheduled for last weekend - now takes place on Tuesday, August 17th.
Last year, the Sligo senior footballers were forced to withdraw from the Connacht Championship.
A number of cases within the squad left the Connacht county in a position where they were unable to field.
The game was not rescheduled, with Galway receiving a walkover.