The Tánaiste Leo Varadkar says he remains fully behind a joint bid to host the 2030 World Cup.
Earlier this year, it was confirmed a feasibility study was being undertaken for a combined bid to stage football's biggest international tournament alongside England, Scotland and Wales.
However, Sunday night's scenes at Wembley Stadium have cast doubt over the viability of the bid.
Hundreds of ticketless people stormed the Wembley perimeter, with many managing to make their way inside for the game.
Wembley rn pic.twitter.com/3lXRRvG7d0
— Rave Footage 🎥 (@RaveFootage) July 11, 2021
The Metropolitan Police say 19 officers were injured and 49 arrests were made during their operation around the final.
Many have claimed that the policing effort around the final was substandard.
Asked on Monday if those scenes have seen the government reconsider the 2030 bid, Varadkar said, "I don’t think so, no."
He added, "It’s a minority and I don’t think we should ever try to tar a whole nation or a whole set of fans or support, just based on the behaviour of what I believe was a minority.”
Frustratingly, 19 of our officers were injured while they confronted volatile crowds. This is wholly unacceptable.
A big thanks to officers across London and our blue light colleagues for their part in keeping Londoner's safe and moving tonight.#Euro2020
— Metropolitan Police Events (@MetPoliceEvents) July 12, 2021
Varadkar also voiced his disgust at the heinous racist abuse suffered by England players following their penalty shoot-out defeat to Italy.
"Certainly I would say to anyone who’s engaging in any form of abuse online, that’s really unacceptable," the Tánaiste said.
“I’d be saying to the tech companies that they have a responsibility not to promote and to take down anything of a racist nature in that regard.
“I haven’t contacted them yet about it, but it’s the kind of message I would happily make public here.”
Southgate condemns racist abuse | ‘I know a lot has come from abroad’