Newcastle United are set to splurge a reported £25million (€30m) on Burnley striker, Chris Wood.
The Magpies are in need of reinforcements up front as Callum Wilson has been ruled out for up to eight weeks with a calf problem.
However, the signing of a 30-year old with only three goals to his name this season would be something of a surprise.
The proposed move has progressed so quickly that a medical is planned for Wood, with personal terms already agreed. Newcastle hope to have Wood in the door by the time fellow strugglers Watford visit St. James's Park on Saturday.
Wood may not be the only striker arriving on Tyneside this month. Newcastle reportedly remain interested in Reims' teenager, Hugo Ekitike.
The 19-year old has scored eight Ligue 1 goals this season, and could cost Newcastle's wealthy Saudi owners around €30million.
Digne out / El Ghazi in
Everton boss Rafa Benitez looks set to do business with his former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard in an effort to get Lucas Digne out of the club.
The France international has fallen out of favour at Goodison Park, and has told Benitez he wants to leave.
The Spaniard told the media last week he'd held "A couple of conversations with [Digne], he told me what he thought.
"What do you expect the manager to do when the player is thinking about to leave?"
Aston Villa now head the queue to sign the 28-year old.
Moving in the opposite direction could be Anwar El Ghazi. The winger has made almost 120 appearances for Villa since joining from Lille in 2018.
However, his involvement has been limited this season, and he hasn't started a game since November.
The 26-year old still has 17-months left on his Villa Park deal, and the Birmingham club reportedly value him at £15million (€18m).