Today we learned that Dublin City Council is powerless to remove them.
So what should be done with them?
In the knowledge that some have been converted to ATM machines in the UK, we asked the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show listeners for their ideas on using the phone booths:
- Make an art competition with them and offer them to local artists for their creativity
- Turn the phone boxes back on, free phone to a Help/Information Hub to assist our tourist industry
- Why not turn the phone booths into what half of them are used for anyway-urinals
- If you convert phone booths to ATMs in this country, the criminals will probably remove them. Job done
- They could call them the ‘Colin Farrell phone booth’
- Put a working phone in them so people can make a call if they don't have a mobile #JustAThought
- Hi Ian, make those phone booths vending machines for tourists to get umbrellas and rain ponchos
- Maybe make them information booths. That is what the village of Moynalty did with their old telephone box
- Gotta keep them Iano, otherwise where will Superman change into his cape...
- I think they should put heart defibrillators in all the unused phone boxes, it would be very useful. From Paddy in Monaghan
- Make the phone kiosks into charging locations for mobile phones i-Pads, tablets etc...
- I was telling my 4 year old about superman changing in a phone booth. He asked me what that was...
Any more ideas? Let us know