- On August 22 last year, Dale Carr came face to face - a lot closer, indeed - with a great white shark who mauled him to within an inch of his life. He lost almost three litres of blood and almost died twice.
- And he would have died were it not for the quick thinking of Wexford man Shane de Roiste, who has just been nominated for a Pride of Australia for his quick thinking and bravery that day.
- Dale and Shane were on body boards about 150m from shore when the shark grabbed Dale's thigh and buttocks with its upper teeth and his board with its lower jaw.
- “Dale was screaming at me to get out but you’re not going to leave a mate and just turn and go,” Shane says. “I just headed in his direction to see what I could do.”
- He tells his amazing story to Matt
You might like