Nick Kyrgios has further settled into his role of 'unlikely voice of reason' by hitting out at Novak Djokovic's Adria Tour.
The Croatian leg of the mini tour was cancelled on Sunday as a result of Grigor Dimitrov testing positive for COVID-19.
His most recent opponent Borna Coric also returned a positive test result shortly after.
Djokovic's fitness coach Marko Paniki and Dimitrov's coach Kristijan Groh were also infected.
Djokovic returned to Serbia on Sunday from Croatia without being tested for coronavirus.
Alexander Zverev, Andrey Rublev and Marin Cilic - who were also present - have not tested positive but say they will follow guidelines to self-isolate.
The Adria Tour events were organised by Djokovic in his native Serbia and then Croatia to help players get back up to match sharpness.
Crowds were present at the events, and social distancing was not in play.
Djokovic defended his decision to stage the events without precautions in place to which we've come accustomed.
"I know there have been some criticisms as well especially coming from the West: ‘why do we have a crowd? Why not having social distancing? What is going on and why are they having this kind of event in the midst of a very hard pandemic in the West?" he told Eurosport.
Dimitrov, Djokovic and Zverev were filmed in a Belgrade nightclub last week.
While the Bulgarian also played his tour-mates in a game of basketball in Zadar on Thursday.
View this post on Instagram
Hi Everyone-I want to reach out and let my fans and friends know that I tested positive back in Monaco for Covid-19. I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions. I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused. I am back home now and recovering. Thanks for your support and please stay safe and healthy. GD
“But, you know, it’s hard to explain to people that the situation is really, really different maybe in America or the UK than it is in Serbia or surrounding countries, and obviously from the day one of the organisation of the Adria Tour, [we have been] following the rules and the measures that have been regulated by obviously the government institution and the public health institution."
Quote-tweeting Coric's confirmation of his infection, Kyrgios tweeted, "Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the ‘exhibition’ speedy recovery fellas, but that’s what happens when you disregard all protocols. This IS NOT A JOKE."
🤦🏽♂️🤦🏽♂️🤦🏽♂️ Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the ‘exhibition’ speedy recovery fellas, but that’s what happens when you disregard all protocols. This IS NOT A JOKE. https://t.co/SUdxfijkbK
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) June 22, 2020
The Aussie last week called ATP Tour chair Andrea Gaudenzi a "potato" for the tour's lack of consultation with players surrounding a return to play.
Following Djokovic's return to Serbia, Adria Tour organisers insisted travel to one's native country was permitted, once they contacted their epidemiologist.
They say the Serb was asymptomatic, adding:
"Novak did not feel any symptoms or anyone from his environment, including the professional staff, so he did not go for testing now. After arriving home in Belgrade, he will contact the epidemiologist, and he will continue the procedure to his doctor according to the recommendations of the medical service."
Djokovic had already raised eyebrows during lockdown when he insisted he would not be vaccinated, if it was decided vaccines were necessary for a return to play.
The men's world no.1 also used his Instagram to give a platform to Chervin Jafarieh, a former stockbroker who claimed your immune system can be damaged by fear.
The ATP and WTA Tours are due to resume with the Citi Open in Washingdon DC on August 14.
The US Open will be played behind closed doors at Flushing Meadows from August 31.
In response to the spate of positive test results, the ATP Tour said on Monday:
The ATP wishes a complete and quick recovery for the ATP players and members of their staff who tested positive for COVID-19 following involvement in the Adria Tour exhibition tournament.
The ATP continues to urge strict adherence to responsible social distancing and health and safety guidelines to contain the spread of the virus.
In planning for the resumption of the ATP Tour season from 14 August, ATP and other stakeholders have made exhaustive plans to mitigate risks through a variety of precautions and protocols to be implemented at ATP events.
We continue to plan and adjust these precautions and protocols according to latest medical information and prioritise safety in assessing every decision.